Certificate in Social Media Essentials
A High Tech, High Paying and in High Demand Credential
Today’s innovations in communication have created an undeniable demand for specialists in social media. Corporations, governments, and non profits are engaging in digital media to extend the reach of their initiatives, provide a fresh platform for launching new products and services, and involve employees in new ways. Graduates from this certificate program will know when and how to use media tools to foster dialogue and drive action. Students will gain competencies in communication, information design, and new technologies.
Who is this program recommended for?
This program, which is completely available online, is ideal for working professionals who want or need to update skills for their current profession. Students who want to change careers and enter the field of social media will also gain from this certificate. Corporations, government, big and small businesses all need the expertise of specialists in social media.
- Deep understanding of the relationship between communication, design, and technology
- Professional use of social media as communication tools in business, education, by non-profits and as communities of interest
- How and when to use blogging, tagging, wiki writing, podcasting, tweeting, and podcasting
- Social media strategies for reading and writing in today’s multi-cultural, screen-oriented, networked culture.
- Detailed understanding of online visual communication strategies and community building -- design and creation of multimedia objects, usability heuristics, navigation theory, contemporary design practices and online community building
- User research methods such as contextual inquiry, ethnographic field studies, card sorting, affinity diagramming, and usability testing that provide the foundation for user-centered design
- User and task analysis, rhetorical strategies
- Contemporary types of technical communication
- Comprehensive professional ePortfolio of your work that will enhance your résumé
Why study Social Media Essentials at NJIT?
NJIT, at the leading edge of technology and science, provides the technical backbone for a program involving social media. Several market indicators point to this field as a strong career choice for 2010 and beyond. The United States Department of Labor, US News and World Report, and The Wall Street Journal have all recently identified expertise in social media as a knowledge area in high demand.
NJIT's standard admission requirements apply to this graduate certificate. In addition:
- Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional high-speed internet connection access from a computer that is not behind a firewall. Access to Moodle and to synchronous chat are often prevented by many companies' security policies. Please check with your company if you plan to access this course from work.
- Familiarity with using the computer as a tool of learning.
- Fluency with Microsoft Word, and confidence in exploring the Internet.
- Commitment to distance learning as a mode of education. You should be prepared to visit the course Web site daily and post observations in discussion groups. If technical problems arise, you will not let these stand in the way of obtaining material and submitting work.
Related Degree Programs
All credits from the Social Media Essentials graduate certificate can be applied toward these NJIT programs:
Check class schedule via the Registrar's Office