Certificate in Information Security
A High Tech, High Paying and in High Demand Credential
The program’s narrow focus allows you to dig deep into this specific topic, and start applying your knowledge sooner. It’s possible to some of the courses online, so you can more easily fit the program into your busy life. And whether you take courses online or on campus, you’ll learn from NJIT’s distinguished professors and instructors of the College of Computing Sciences.
Who is this program recommended for?This graduate certificate is best suited for students holding an undergraduate degree in computer science, information technology or those willing to take a number of ancillary courses.
- Security threats in communication systems; conventional cryptography: substitution and transposition codes; distribution of secret key over the Internet; principles of public-key cryptography; RSA and other public-key cryptographic methods; and digital signature protocol.
- Existing network security technology and the various practical techniques that have been implemented for protecting data from disclosure, for guaranteeing authenticity of messages, and for protecting systems from network attacks.
- SNMP family of standards including SNMP, SNMPv2, and RMON (Remote Monitoring), OSI systems management.
- Information protection concepts, privacy impact analysis, computer crime, legal issues, controls and auditing systems, and firewall configuration.
- Conventional Encryption and Public Key Cryptology. Security services and standards (such as Kerberos, Digital Signature Standard, Pretty Good Privacy, SNMPv2 security facility).
Why study for Information Security graduate certificate with NJIT?NJIT has a long history of innovation in digital communications. With one of the most computing intensive campuses in the world, NJIT has pioneered the application of new technologies as learning tools. The university educates one of the largest groups of information technology students in the nation. Not coincidentally, New Jersey is one of the leading states for computing and high technology businesses. Thirty of the nation's fastest growing technology companies are based in the state. New Jersey ranks 7th in the nation as a cyberstate and 8th for venture capital investment – $3.5 billion – in information technology and software. New Jersey offers the highest median salary in the nation for information systems managers.
What kind of Financial Assistance is Available?
Financial Assistance options for part-time, (6 credits or more) graduate certificate students include federally funded (U.S. Department of Education) student loans at low interest rates, US Veterans Administration educational benefits and US income tax credits plus eligibility for college work-study.
Online Graduate Certificate study at NJIT has its advantages. New Jersey residents studying online and/or on-campus will be charged, as always, the in-state tuition rate. However if you reside “outside” of New Jersey, you qualify for our new online tuition rate. This new rate is significantly lower than the out-of-state fee to attend classes on campus. In order to receive the new graduate online tuition all classes must be studied online during a given semester. Because of the new online tuition, adults living anywhere in the country, as well as abroad, can afford to earn a graduate certificate or a degree from NJIT. And international students do not need to acquire a Visa, since entirely online learning permits study from the home country.
PrerequisitesCompletion of a Bachelor’s degree with a overall cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.8 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
Related Degree ProgramsAll credits from the Information Security Certificate can be applied to the NJIT MS in IT Administration or MS in Information Systems or MS in Business and Information Systems or MS in Cyber Security and Privacy.
Take NoteCheck the course descriptions for more information. Some courses have prerequisites and must be taken in order. More information about the graduate certificate may be found here.
Register for courses via our Registrar's Office